17.11.09

Iconic Photograph

Brief: Tonight, Cat, I'm going to be.....


12th October - 11th December


You are to choose an iconic photo which you are to re-create in the photographic studio. There are two musts: The reference must be evident; and you must be identifiable. It must be emphasised that this is not an exercise in Photoshop, but an exercise in photography and understanding the photographic studio.


Learning outcome : Use a variety of image making techniques and associated media.


--------------------


Different people have different passions, influences and backgrounds, and for this project I enjoyed seeing what everyone considered an iconic image.


I first came up with a few 'generic' iconic images which many people came up with. But then when I started looking into iconic images more I discovered you could have iconic in many ways. Public iconic, social icon, musical icon, artistic icon.


Here are a few of the photos which I considered recreated:


George Hoyningen
Lee Miller wearing yraid sailor cloth overalls





Marilyn Monroe





David Bailey
The Kray Twins







I really liked all the images which are above, and I particularly like the idea of being both of the characters in The Kray Twins. After deciding on the friday night before my shoot I was going to do this image, I was in WHSmiths and saw the image of Bradey and Hindley on a book cover. Straight away I really thought this would be a great image for myself to do. It is very iconic, meant I could be both characters, and was a challenge.


Bradey & Hindley




No comments:

Post a Comment