11.11.09

Interaction Logo Project

Brief:

14th October - 28th October

You are to produce a symbol which communicates interaction, as seen in your presentation. You may use image, type, or a combination of both. The design is to be black and white only. You are to produce two different sized versions on a single sheet of A4 white paper, landscape format; the largest of which should be 150mm on its longest side; the smallest should measure 35mm on its longest side. There should be two lines of copy in 9pt Helvetica in the bottom right-hand corner, which explains the ethos of the design.

----------------------------

Immediately I found this brief a challenge. However I addressed the brief using creative methods I was confident using: paper based sketches, collages and drawings. The initial one hundred logo's were a time consuming process but I gained some interesting outcomes by approaching the brief considering interaction as a form for combining materials and interacting through production of the logo.

After my first crit on the project, It was clear the more successful logos were the more simple ones. The 'sense of play' within my designs was seen as a strength and also the departure of letters gave the logos a depth of negative and positive space. The initial one hundred logos were aesthetically pleasing however, I sacrificed the symbolic value and most importantly the meaning of the logo: interaction.

Considering the crit I received, I went on to experiment making me logos symbolise interaction in a more literal sense. I interacted with the shapes and marks I made. I cut through, intersected lines and cut letters out and flipped them out of the shapes. Here are a few of the designs which I progressed with :

<<>>

These ideas had a deeper concept within them, however use of a the letter forms was later replaced with a shape as it was seen by others to represent more of an interaction rather than a message.

This was the final Logo which I submitted with its ethos. I feel that this was a simple design and gave the most impact to suggest interaction. From this project I learnt a lot from other peoples ideas and also, I gained some experience using illustrator. I definitely need to strengthen my skills using the program so I can experiment more with my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment